The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society

Second Meeting House Lot

Second Meeting House Lot: this parcel is located in conjunction to the Burying Ground on Chestnut Street and has been owned by DRHS since 1937.

The First Meeting House (which was built around 1637 and stood within the present bounds of the Chestnut Street cemetery) was replaced by a Second Meeting House just to the east of the cemetery around 1706.  This building was the center of Duxbury affairs, both religious and secular, for nearly 80 years until it was, in turn, replaced by a Third Meeting House built in 1785 on Tremont Street.  The Second Meeting House was then taken down around 1785.

A special thank you to the Town of Duxbury for partnering with DRHS in maintaining this recreational space. Open to the public, subject to cemetery rules and regulations.

Old Burying Ground, view towards Standish Monument, ca. 1900. Collection of the DRHS, Drew Archival Library.

 

Click here to go to the next property.

Designed & Developed by Niki Brown