The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society

Tarkiln Corner

Tarkiln Corner: this parcel is located at the intersection of Rte 53 and Summer St. It was donated to the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society in 1938 by Elizabeth Peterson.

The Tarkiln neighborhood takes its name from the early presence of tar pits in the area. Tar, a by-product of charcoal, was used to caulk the seams of newly constructed vessels. Later, Tarkiln had a village school, known as the Twin Schools.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click here to return to the DRHS Lands Main Page. 

Designed & Developed by Niki Brown