Duxbury Maritime Festival & Tavern Night
Duxbury Maritime Festival & Tavern Night
Saturday, October 13, 2018
479 Washington Street, Duxbury
Glorious Duxbury Bay has been at the heart of the community for generations. Celebrate our coastal heritage with the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society and partners, on the lawn of the Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House, featuring waterfront views of historic Duxbury Bay. A full schedule of events, perfect for all audiences.
The daytime event will feature local food trucks, historic house tours, shipbuilding demonstrations, nautical activities, family-friendly historical re-enactments, and a sea chantey concert. Blankets and picnics welcome.
Enter the raffle to win a tour of Plymouth Light (Gurnet Light) and the historic Gurnet Lifesaving Station, generously donated by Project Gurnet and Bug Lights.
Adults, return that evening for our “Tavern Night” to try your hand at the popular 1800s card game of whist and enjoy Irish music along with a Raw Bar by Island Creek Oysters and other food and beverages provided by our generous sponsors. Guests will leave with a special themed gift!
Download: Maritime Festival Flyer
Schedule of Events: Come Spend the Day With Us!
10:00 am – 12:00 pm:
Historic Tours of Shipbuilding District with Tony Kelso, Town Historian (tours are scheduled for 10 am and 11:30 am).
Animal Agriculture comes alive with livestock from the Soule Homestead Educational Center of Middleborough.
Children’s Activities & Games: mock “fishing derby,” get your sailing papers, and join a sailing crew headed out to sea.
11:00 am, on:
Food Trucks: Seafood, Cupcakes & More! Blankets and picnics welcome (no alcohol, please).
Note: food purchase is not included with Maritime Festival Tickets.
12:00 – 1:00 pm:
Maritime Tunes with the New Bedford Sea Chantey Chorus.
1:30 – 2:30 pm:
Historical Performance: Life Aboard a Whaling Ship with Anne Barrett as Mary Chipman Lawrence.
Raffle Winner Announced! You do not need to be present to win.
Raffle information: Project Gurnet and Bug Lights is donating a trip or four people to tour the Plymouth Light Station, Fort Andrew, and the historic Gurnet Lifesaving Station. Plymouth Light (aka Gurnet Light), whose tower was built in 1842, is the oldest wooden lighthouse in America and stands on Fort Andrew. The Gurnet Lifesaving Station was built in 1892 and has much of its equipment in place as it was in 1920. It is owned by historian and preservationist Richard Boonisar, author of Gurnet Light. The visit will be scheduled subject to mutual availability.
Lively Re-enactment of Duxbury Town Meeting, ca. 1800: How King Caesar Got His Nickname. Play written and adapted by Historian, Patrick Browne. Featuring volunteer actors: Peter Savage, Ken Johnston, Paul Wales, Edith Barnes, Patrick Browne, Greg Brousseau, and Sandy See + involvement from the audience!
All Day (10-3):
Boat Building Demos & Hands On Activities with members of Jones River Landing.
Visit our Historic House museums for a tour: New DRHS exhibitions on Duxbury’s Women at Sea (Bradford House, 931 Tremont St.) & King Caesar’s Counting Rooms (King Caesar House, 120 King Caesar Rd.). Admission to historic houses is included with your Maritime Festival ticket.
6:00 – 8:00 pm:
Tavern Night, A fantastic evening celebrating Duxbury’s maritime culture at the Historic Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House. Enjoy live music, delicious food and drink, a water-front view, and an old-fashioned game of whist! Participants will also go home with a special themed gift. Tickets for Tavern Night sold separately.
Irish Music by The Lindsays
Whist Card Game Room generously provided by the Taunton Whist Club
Raw Bar donated by Duxbury’s own, Island Creek Oysters
Food & Bar provided by Foodie’s Market, Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams), The Foodsmith, The Oysterman, and Empire Wine & Spirits.
Special Themed Gift, given to all participants to take home.
Please visit our partners and learn more:
PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS BELOW
Daytime Festival Admission (Advanced Sales): $20 (adults and children over 12); $5 (children, ages 1-12).
Daytime Festival Admission (Door Sales): $25 (adults and children over 12); $8 (children, ages 1-12).
Raffle Tickets: Visit to Plymouth Light, Fort Andrew and the historic Gurnet Lifesaving Station. $20 a ticket, available on website and at the door. You do not need to be present to win!
Tavern Night Admission: $60 pp; $55 DRHS Members. Ticket includes access to games, entertainment, food, two drink tickets (cash bar available), and a themed gift. Must be 21+ to attend Tavern Night. Tavern Night tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Your receipt is your proof of purchase and you do not need additional documentation; names for tickets and raffles will be checked at the door for admission.
- Please note: Advanced tickets for the Daytime activities are offered at a discount; price will increase at the door!
- Come and spend the day with us! Do note that Food Trucks require additional purchase. Picnics are welcome (no alcohol, please).
- Tavern Night tickets must be purchased in advance, and separately from Daytime activity tickets.
- Both Maritime Festival & Tavern Night tickets are non-refundable.
- Event will take place “rain or shine.”
- Event details subject to change; any changes prior to the event will be posted on this website.
- All proceeds support the educational and preservation mission of the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society. Thank you!
- Parking: while the DRHS lot will be closed to car traffic, parking is available free of charge in the following areas. Call our office if you have questions.
- Duxbury Yacht Club (Mattakesett Court)
- Harbormaster Public Lot (Mattakesett Court)
- Duxbury Bay Maritime School (457 Washington Street, until 4 pm)
- Island Creek Oysters (403 Washington Street)
- Along Washington Street, where permitted
- And please, consider supporting the neighboring local businesses/restaurants/shops as well!
Purchase Tickets Here!
Maritime Festival Ticket (Adults & Children 12 and over)
Maritime Festival Ticket (Children, ages 1-12)
Tavern Night (General Admission)
Tavern Night (DRHS Member Discount)