No products in the cart.

Bumpus Park

Located across the street from the King Caesar House museum, this park is actually the remnants of the working wharf for Ezra Weston II (known as “King Caesar” because of his successful shipbuilding and mercantile business).

The wharf was once large enough to have five buildings on it. Smaller Weston vessels docked at the wharf to be outfitted, loaded, and rigged. The wharf is shorter now than it once was and has been transformed into the pleasant park you see today.

The park property was donated to the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society in 1946, given in honor of Dr. Hermon Bumpus and intended as a park for the public. Dr. Bumpus had owned and restored the King Caesar House in the early 20th century.

The park is available and open to the public from sunrise to sunset, as long as there is no private event scheduled. The DRHS does accept reservations for private ceremonies, photography, etc. Please call our office to inquire.

1879 survey map showing the buildings that were once situated on the wharf. Collection of the DRHS, Drew Archival Library.
View of the King Caesar House, from Bumpus Park.
Bumpus Park with view of King Caesar House, ca. 1900. Collection of the DRHS, Drew Archival Library.
Remnants of the extension on the wharf, ca. 1900. Collection of the DRHS, Drew Archival Library.