This parcel is located at the intersection of Rte 53 and Summer St. It was donated to the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society in 1938 by Elizabeth Peterson.
The Tarkiln neighborhood takes its name from the early presence of tar pits in the area. Tar, a by-product of charcoal, was used to caulk the seams of newly constructed vessels. Later, Tarkiln had a village school, known as the Twin Schools.