Cup featuring the Standish Monument, circa 1900
Gift of Mrs. Gilbert Leo Stancliff, Jr., 1988.001.001a
A white demitasse cup featuring the Standish Monument. The Monument, started in 1872 and opened to the public in 1899, capitalized on the fame of Myles Standish. It is the third tallest monument built to an individual in the country and remains a popular tourist attraction.
In 1872 the Standish Monument Association began construction of the Myles Standish Monument, designed by architect Alden Frink, on Captain’s Hill, land once owned by Standish. The statue atop the monument was created by Irish-American sculptor, Stephen J. O’Kelley and carved by Italian craftsmen, Stefano Brignoli and Luigi Limonetta. Construction halted for many years due to lack of funds. When construction restarted in 1889 different granite had to be used, a change that can be noticed today about halfway up the shaft.
Return to Exhibition Main Page.