Color postcard of the Myles Standish Monument, 1905
Ink on paper
Gift of the Duxbury Free Public Library, DAL.2019.057.07
Color postcard of the Myles Standish Monument, produced for A. S. Burbank in Plymouth, and printed in Germany. The postcard is addressed to Miss Ruth Hamilton, in Worcester, MA.
In 1872 the Standish Monument Association began construction of the Myles Standish Monument, designed by architect Alden Frink, on Captain’s Hill, land once owned by Standish. The statue atop the monument was created by Irish-American sculptor, Stephen J. O’Kelley and carved by Italian craftsmen, Stefano Brignoli and Luigi Limonetta. Construction halted for many years due to lack of funds. When construction restarted in 1889 different granite had to be used, a change that can be noticed today about halfway up the shaft.
Return to Exhibition Main Page.