Myles Standish Monument souvenir medallion, 20th century, Metal, DRHS Collection, 2019.004.
A small collectible medallion featuring the Myles Standish Monument.
In 1872 the Standish Monument Association began construction of the Myles Standish Monument, designed by architect Alden Frink, on Captain’s Hill, land once owned by Standish. The statue atop the monument was created by Irish-American sculptor, Stephen J. O’Kelley and carved by Italian craftsmen, Stefano Brignoli and Luigi Limonetta. Construction halted for many years due to lack of funds. When construction restarted in 1889 different granite had to be used, a change that can be noticed today about halfway up the shaft.
A mid-sized pin featuring the raised image of the Myles Standish Monument, likely a tourist souvenir.
Return to Exhibition Main Page.