The stained-glass window is a scene prominently featuring the Myles Standish Monument from across the Bay. It was made by Carol Coffin, a glass artist for Maine Art Glass. She made the piece for her cousin Dr. Albert Marcotte, who lived and practiced in Duxbury.
In 1872 the Standish Monument Association began construction of the Myles Standish Monument, designed by architect Alden Frink, on Captain’s Hill, land once owned by Standish. The statue atop the monument was created by Irish-American sculptor, Stephen J. O’Kelley and carved by Italian craftsmen, Stefano Brignoli and Luigi Limonetta. Construction halted for many years due to lack of funds. When construction restarted in 1889 different granite had to be used, a change that can be noticed today about halfway up the shaft. Today, the Standish Monument continues to be a popular attraction and landmark in Duxbury, still inspiring artistic works.
Learn more about artist Carol Coffin: https://maineglassdesign.com/.
Return to Exhibition Main Page.