The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society

Museum Houses Are Open for the Summer!

The Duxbury Rural and Historical Society announces the annual opening of its two museums—the King Caesar House (1809) and the Captain Gershom Bradford House (1808). Trained docents will guide visitors through these remarkable 19th century houses that accurately reflect the days of Duxbury ship builders and sea captains.

The King Caesar House at 120 King Caesar Road will open Saturday, June 30. Regular hours thereafter are Wednesdays through Sundays, 1-4 p.m. until the end of August.  The house was built in 1809 for Ezra Weston II, known as “King Caesar” for his worldwide preeminence as a shipbuilder and merchant.  Weston’s enterprise dominated Duxbury in the early 19th century with a large portion of the population employed in the Weston shipyards, farms, wharves, mill, ropewalk, or aboard Weston’s fishing schooners and merchant fleet. The house is noted for its rare French scenic wallpapers, portraits of sea captains, and 19th century furnishings.

The Potter Gallery at the King Caesar House features rotating exhibits. This summer’s exhibit is “From Pilgrims to Ipads: Celebrating 375 Years of Duxbury History.”

The Gershom Bradford House at 931 Tremont Street will open on Sunday, July 1. Regular hours are Sundays, 1-4 p.m. until the end of August. The house belonged to four generations of Bradfords before the last generation gave it to the Society in 1968. Captain Gershom Bradford (1774-1844), who built the house, commanded more than 10 merchant vessels before retiring in 1826 to lead an active life ashore. The Bradford family, out of respect for the Captain, changed almost nothing in the house.  It was donated to the Society with original furnishings, décor and personal objects.  A fascinating time capsule, the house allows the visitor to glimpse the home of a successful Duxbury mariner much as he left it in 1844. Admission to the Bradford House is $3 for adults and $1 for seniors/students.

Tours are also available by appointment. For more information, e-mail aarnold@duxburyhistory.org or call 781-934-6106.

Designed & Developed by Niki Brown