White souvenir plate of the “Myles Standish Monument, Duxbury, Mass.” The plate was made in Austria for sale by N.M. Stetson’s pharmacy located on Washington Street in Duxbury.
Nelson Mitchell Stetson (1855-1907) was born in Scituate, MA and become a pharmacist shortly before opening the Duxbury Pharmacy in 1897. It was located at 590 Washington Street, opposite the post office at the time. The Stetson family lived on the second floor of the building. In addition to filling prescriptions, the pharmacy also sold toiletries, cigars, souvenirs and had a counter for ice cream. Shortly after opening, Stetson took on an employee, Paul C. Peterson, who became the owner in 1907.
In 1872 the Standish Monument Association began construction of the Myles Standish Monument, designed by architect Alden Frink, on Captain’s Hill, land once owned by Standish. The statue atop the monument was created by Irish-American sculptor, Stephen J. O’Kelley and carved by Italian craftsmen, Stefano Brignoli and Luigi Limonetta. Construction halted for many years due to lack of funds. When construction restarted in 1889 different granite had to be used, a change that can be noticed today about halfway up the shaft.
Return to Exhibition Main Page.