Press photograph from Boston Herald, published July 1930 with the caption “Capt. Myles Standish statue and sculptor John Horrigan pose for the camera before the giant form was sent aloft in original place in Duxbury. Statue was hit by lightning in 1930 but suffered no ill-effects.”
The monument was actually hit by lightning on August 26, 1922 and was heavily damaged, thus the need for a new portion of the statue to be fashioned by Horrigan.
In 1872 the Standish Monument Association began construction of the Myles Standish Monument, designed by architect Alden Frink, on Captain’s Hill, land once owned by Standish. The statue atop the monument was created by Irish-American sculptor, Stephen J. O’Kelley and carved by Italian craftsmen, Stefano Brignoli and Luigi Limonetta. Construction halted for many years due to lack of funds. When construction restarted in 1889 different granite had to be used, a change that can be noticed today about halfway up the shaft.
Return to Exhibition Main Page.