The Alden School for Girls opened in 1896 and operated for only a few years. It was located in the federal-style home built by Capt. Jonathan Smith, still standing today at 50 Cedar Street. The school was located close to Pilgrims John and Priscilla Alden’s land grant. At the time, the Alden School was one of three private academies in Duxbury. In the summer months, principals Mary T. Jenkins and Helen T. Nevers used the building and its amenities as a summer resort.
A popular school name in Duxbury, today children attend the Alden Elementary School from 3rd to 5th grade.
Return to Exhibition Main Page.