The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society’s collections also include a number of lands and historic house parcels that are intricately connected to Duxbury’s Pilgrim history and its legacy. All of the properties below are owned by the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society.
The King Caesar House (120 King Caesar Road) was built in 1809 on land once owned by Ezra Weston’s ancestor, George Soule. Weston was also a descendant of Mayflower passengers John & Priscilla (Mullins) Alden; Elder William Brewster and his son, Love; and of Fortune passenger, Philip de la Noye (Delano). Ezra’s wife, Jerusha Bradford, was descended of Gov. William Bradford; John & Priscilla (Mullins) Alden; and both Elder William Brewster and his son, Love. Today, the property is a historic house museum run by the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society and there is a plaque in the gardens dedicated to the Soule family.
The Bradford House Museum (931 Tremont Street) was built by Capt. Gershom and Sarah (Sally) Hickling Bradford in 1808. Gershom and his four daughters were direct descendants of Mayflower passengers Gov. William Bradford; John & Priscilla (Mullins) Alden; and both Elder William Brewster and his son, Love.
The Allen Property on Crescent Street in Duxbury was once part of Capt. Myles and Barbara Standish’s farm, in the Nook area of Duxbury.
The DRHS property, Cedarfield, is located on Clark’s Island in Duxbury Bay. Clark’s Island was named for the first mate of the Mayflower, who is purported to be the first to step on the island in 1620 when the island was an early stop by the advance shallop of the Mayflower. The DRHS property at Clark’s Island includes Pulpit (or Election Rock), a historical landmark linked with the Mayflower voyage.
The Reynolds-Maxwell Garden is located adjacent to the Blue Fish River bridge and has always been a crossroads of sorts. During Duxbury’s early colonial days, the Alden and Delano farms were just to the west, and the Soule property on Power Point, to the east.
The Nathaniel Winsor Jr. House (479 Washington Street) is today the headquarters of the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society and is nestled at the heart of the Shipbuilder’s District in Snug Harbor. Built in 1807, Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. was a direct descendant of George Soule, Henry Samson, Myles Standish and John & Priscilla (Mullins) Alden as well as Fortune passengers, Philip de la Noye (Delano) and Moses Simmons. Nathaniel’s wife, Hannah (Loring) Winsor, was a descendant of John and Priscilla (Mullins) Alden.
This parcel is located in conjunction to the Burying Ground on Chestnut Street and is owned by the DRHS. The First Meeting House (which was built around 1637 and stood within the present bounds of the Chestnut Street cemetery) was replaced by a Second Meeting House just to the east of the cemetery around 1706. This building was the center of Duxbury affairs, both religious and secular, for nearly 80 years until it was, in turn, replaced by a Third Meeting House built in 1785 on Tremont Street. The Second Meeting House was taken down on June 7, 1785.
To learn more please visit:
Return to Lasting Legacy Page and the main exhibition.
As a special gift, please enjoy and download these free themed coloring pages for the school-aged learners in your life!
Visit our More Resources Page.
Return to Exhibition Main Page.
Please consider making a donation to support the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society & community projects like this exhibition. We depend on your support, now more than ever. Thank you.